The dental laboratory is one of the fastest growing fields in terms of technology and innovative equipment used. There are a lot of digital dental technologies have been introduced, and it reduces production time and cost, by making the dental process fast and reliable.
If you are working in the field of dentistry, then you should encourage yourself, as dentistry is a rewarding, well-paying, and highly competitive field. But now, dental laboratory services have changed a lot, as they should incorporate the latest technologies and devices.
So, if you are planning to have a dental laboratory, then here are a few things that you should consider.
How to start the dental laboratory?
The dental lab is mainly designed to improve the oral health and hygiene of the people, and it comes along with good dental care. There are lots of combinations of things that will make the best dental lab, and of all one of the most important criteria is that they should use the latest technologies or equipment.
The dental lab should consist of the products and using them the dental technician can able to recognize the problems and rectify them as quickly as possible. So, if you are planning to start a new dental laboratory or wanted to update the old one, then here are a few things that you should consider;
- Before you start your dental lab, you need to find your dental niche, and what kind of particular dental services you will be offering. There are different types of specific services offered by the lab veneers, crown and bridges, dental sleep medicine, implants, removable, and others
- Apart from the latest equipment, the lab should have basic equipment such as a microscope, casting machine, dental waxing equipment, and also the necessary equipment such as air purifiers and filtration system to keep the environment clean and hygiene
- The lab should consist of all basic materials which are used to manufacture any restoration, implants, and other dental needs. Some kind of common materials includes are all-ceramic, metal-supported ceramics, composites, and others
- As the technology in the dental field is getting enhanced, so the dental lab should have some digital technologies such as a digital camera, laboratory scanner, CAD/CAM software, and milling/manufacturing machine
- Whether you prefer the manual or digitalized lab, your lab should have a fully automatic machine like a high-pressure pump, automatic cleaning machine, and others
Types of the dental lab:
If you are confused about what kind of niche your lab should focus on, then here are the few common and popular types of lab that you can choose.
- Denture Laboratory
The dentures can be of various types such as full, partial, temporary, and fixed. Your lab can fully concentrate on the materials and equipment related to denture manufacturing.
- CAD CAM dental lab
The cad cam dental lab comes with computer-aided design and computer-aided manufacturing, and it is mainly involved in the processing of dental restorations. Using CAD/CAM technology the processing of restoration can be made easier. This is one of the effective labs and it involves the current trend.
- Cosmetic dental lab
The cosmetic dental lab is considered the profession of oral care and it will mainly focus on the appearance of the teeth so that they will add beauty to the face. As most people in today’s times are mostly focusing on oral health and care, the cosmetic lab is one of the most needed ones.
- Crown/Bridge dental lab
You can also choose the crown, and bridge dental lab which mainly focuses on the processing of crowns and bridges with the finest materials available. Nowadays, patients have become more concerned about deciding the type of materials they should have in their mouths. So, in this type of lab, you can work with different types of materials.
4 main things to have in the dental lab:
If you are planning to start a lab or upgrade the lab, apart from the latest devices and other equipment, the lab should have some basic things. Whether the lab can be manual or automatic, without the following things, the dental lab will become incomplete.
- Dental Lab Equipment
The dental equipment consists of a fully wide range of systems, and the dental lab equipment is mainly used in the manufacturing of removable or fixed dental prostheses. Depending on the niche you choose, your dental lab should consist of the required equipment. Make sure the equipment you invest in is fully flexible and efficient.
- Dental Laboratory Materials
Dental laboratory materials are nothing but CAD/CAM block materials, and they are of different types like ceramic, metal, resins, composites, wax, zirconia, and others. The main reason for preferring cad cam material is that it comes with high strength and also offers esthetic properties.
- Dental Lab Tools
The dental lab tools are one of the basic things that your dental lab should have. The dental lab equipment won’t come under this category; rather it includes a microscope, handpiece and motor, sandblasters, compressors, torches, welders, waxing equipment, and other dental lab systems. A dental lab is incomplete without all these dental lab tools.
- Dental Lab Supplies
Depending on the type of lab you wanted to start, the dental supplies can be varying. It can be anything starting from material to equipment, but the dental suppliers are mainly depending on your needs. Once you got the common and basic things for your dental laboratory, then start concentrating on the dental lab supplies.
Now, you know the important things which need to be there to design a dental lab, and also in the dentistry field, the technologies are getting updated. So, your dental lab should have the latest technologies, as it will make the process easier for the patients, and it will change their appearance in a better way.